TacticalTechnique.com has written a new WP plugin that modifies the behavior of the recent comments widget. Instead of displaying the post titles that received comments, this plugin shows comment excerpts. Below is a graphic that shows the difference between the default behavior and the effect of this plugin:
If you are a BlogPro Automotive user running one or more WP sites with us then this plug-in has already been installed. You can activate it by going to the Plugins section in the admin and clicking the activate link for this plugin called, Recent comments widget with excerpts. By doing this you will replace the native WP functionality of this widget with that of the new plugin. Of course you can always de-activate it. For assistance using it you may contact us on AC Assist.
If you are not running a WP site here on BlogPro and want to install it on your WP site then follow the instructions below. For tech support please see the TacticalTechnique.com site.
- Download recent-comments-widget-with-excerpts.zip
- Decompress the file contents
- Upload the recent-comments-widget-with-excerpts folder to a WordPress plugins directory (/wp-content/plugins)
- Activate the plugin from the Administration Dashboard
- Open the Widgets page under the Appearance section
- Drag the Recent Comments widget to the active sidebar
There is another plugin out there that gives you the ability to customize the way the Recent Comments widget works. It’s called Customized Recent Comments. This plugin is not installed at this time but can be made available to you upon request.